20090721

ION Orchard finally opens

ION Orchard facade with the MRT entrance in front.

Singapore's long anticipated shopping extravaganza ION Orchard opened it's doors to the public today. I went of course to check it out.

The architecture of the building is something different in Orchard road. The facade is formed of huge glass bubbles. The most prestigious labels like Louis Vuitton, Prada, Cartier, Dior and Giorgio Armani have shops on the Orchard road side. As far as I know Dior is a new comer in Singapore. They are going to house the women's line and some pieces from the Dior Homme line.

My first visit to ION Orchard was a bit of a let down. Many stores were still under construction. The official launch for the mall will be in October. Let's hope everything is ready by then.

I was a bit surprised of the scale of the ION Orchard. Although the mall looks huge outside, inside it doesn't feel so roomy. Compared to Pavilion in KL and IFC mall in Hong Kong which represent the same genre, ION Orchard feels a bit claustrofobic. Maybe it's the height of the floors.

There are also good things about ION Orchard. It has in addition to all the usual luxury brands a Dsquared2 store. I believe this is a debut for Dsquared2 in Singapore. It's quite a big start considered that Dsquared2 has only few stores of their own worldwide. The brand is often sold in department stores or at special retailers. I will definitely pay a visit soon.


I saved the best for the last. I read some time ago that ThreeSixty, a wide variety food store chain from Hong Kong will open an outlet at ION Orchard. And they did. Finally there is a premium grocery store in the heart of Singapore. I'm so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment